Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Lets Do Our Part To Lower The Cost Of Healthcare!

Everyone knows that obesity is a major problem in America.  What a lot of people don't realize is that having a few extra pounds may result in other chronic conditions (congestive heart failure, diabetes, hypertension, stroke) that negatively impact quality of life.  As we struggle on a national level to lower the cost of health care in the United States; I wonder, what are you doing to pull (or loose) your share of the weight?

Earlier this year, I promised my wife that i'd give her the hottest body that I've ever had- and why not?  I like to exercise, and after all, she deserves it...right?  Other than the fact that I live in Miami and it's part of the culture to look your best, when I made that remark to her, I only had in mind physical attributes and wasn't considering other necessities, such as maintaining a healthy cholesterol level and finding ways to reduce stress.  Deep down, I wanted to physically return to my workout heyday of roughly a decade earlier when my metabolism was a bit faster, I practically had a cot in the gym and a job that didn't require more than 40 hours a week.  

So back to wondering what I (and hopefully you) are doing to increase the quality of life in America on an individual and national level.  I remember a time when water boarding could be conducted on my abs- I used to eat about five times a day and I remember taking in a considerable amount of protein.  Since then, I haven't followed that program.  I'm now reading a book that is encouraging me to go back to those times.  For anyone who knows me, I love eating junk food.  As a matter of fact, one of my college roommates used to call me "snackers."  Since this book, I've started to eat healthier (passing buy 1 get 1 bag of chips), changed my workout plan a bit and I'm hoping that it all works out in my (wife's) favor.

At the end of all this, I say, DO YOUR PART TO REDUCE THE COST OF HEALTH CARE IN AMERICA.  (sidebar - did you know that health care costs are the leading cause of american bankruptcy?)  Obesity leads to several other health issues that put a strain on our health care system and your body.  For most of us, obesity is an issue that we can control, but it takes some willpower.  Think of the impact we can make on the cost of health care in America if all the diseases associated with eating crap and not exercising were reduced!