Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Lets Do Our Part To Lower The Cost Of Healthcare! (part 2)

So on occasion, I get a response from those who read my blog.  When I wrote, "Lets Do Our Part To Lower The Cost Of Healthcare!" (part 1), I heard from a new friend who said that they were a part of those who would never be able to do so much to control their weight due to genetic predisposition- and this is what she heard from a physician.  So I thought about this remark related to my post and it made me think that my original request of asking for everyone to do something to reduce obesity might have been a bit to grand.  To open-ended if you will.  Well, I am an advocate of baby steps-  find out how a change may or may not affect the greater whole before going head and feet first (most of the time anyway).  So I have a new request/comment/suggestion that should be a step in the right direction.

EAT BETTER.

Researchers at Harvard state that men who switched 127 calories of carbs (think potato chips) with 1 ounce of nuts, lower their heart disease risk by 30 percent.  Now I don't think I'm obese, overweight, or at risk of heart disease, but dammit, I don't want to get there.  I don't want to be anywhere near there if I can do something about it.  So guess what I've started to do?  - GONE NUTS -

Since the beginning of August, I've been on a healthy eating plan.  One that I hope will assist me in reaching a goal of cutting my Body Mass Index (BMI) in half within 120 days.  To be honest, I'm not a fan of the BMI rating as it doesn't account for muscle properly, but you have to measure something, and where I'm trying to go, this may be helpful.  So what about this eating plan is different from what I used to eat?  For a week and a half, I've had 3 meals and 3 snacks a day and cut the junk out of my routine- with the exception of 1 cheat day a week- Saturday.  So no sodas, no chips, cookies, candy and random snacks- all things I used to eat almost every day.  I would validate to myself eating all that mess by working out and then would wonder why I have reached a plateau in dropping pounds.

In only 10 days of healthy eating, I honestly do "feel better;" replacing bad food with healthier options.  I've been pretty good so far, but I'd be fibbing if I were to say i wasn't looking forward to Saturday.